Mb Solutions’ President and CEO Rosalyn Thompson-Blackwell and Chief Operating Officer Derrick Blackwell founded the Miles Blackwell Foundation in honor of their son, Miles. Miles was tragically killed in a single-car accident in 2011, after helping out a foster child.
The organization continues Miles’ legacy of service and embraces and honors his spirit. The 16-year-old was a star athlete with a soft spot for underprivileged children. He attended the Marine Military Summer Academy in Texas and was an honors student from Athens High School. Miles was a member of the Athens High School Track Team and the Alabama summer Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Team. He was selected to the National Scholars Leadership Camp and Morehouse Summer Scholar Program and took courses at Calhoun Community College.
The foundation consists of three parts:
- Scholarship Support through The Miles Kindness Scholarship
- Charity Support through The Miles Kindness Charity Events
- Community Giveback through The Miles Kindness Learning Center
These three initiatives effectively reach the communities in North Alabama and make a difference. Through the Miles Blackwell Foundation, Mb Solutions actively turns tragedy into triumph each day.
In 2018, the foundation supported the local community in various ways to include:
- Christmas in July for Limestone County
- ACT Prep Program
- Labor & Love Scholarship Program
- Learning Center, Grades K-5
- Fall Tea Etiquette Event for Young Women
Stay tuned for the great events and initiatives planned for the local community in 2019!